Monday, September 14, 2026

#7 Unit II - Quick Study Notes & Practice Questions with Answer Keys.

Design Thinking Unit II - Study & Exam Guide

Design Thinking — Unit II

Empathize & Understanding Users: Study Notes, Practice Exam & Answer Key

1. Empathize & Understanding Users

What is Empathy in Design Thinking?

Empathy is the ability to see the world through the user's eyes, to feel what they feel, and to understand their motivations, emotional states, and physical constraints without judgment.

Empathy vs. Sympathy vs. Compassion

Concept Definition Mindset Example
Sympathy Feeling sorry for someone else's hardship from a distance. "I'm sorry you have trouble using our app."
Empathy Understanding and sharing the user's experience and emotion directly. "I see why this app confuses you; I feel your frustration."
Compassion Empathy coupled with an active drive to take action and help. "I understand your frustration, and I will fix this design."

Why Empathy Matters in Design

  • Uncovers Latent Needs: Reveals unstated needs that users cannot explicitly articulate.
  • Overcomes Developer Bias: Prevents designers from making assumptions based on their own habits ("You are not your user").
  • Reframes Problems: Shifts focus from technical feature requests to genuine human goals.

2. User Research Methods

🗣️ Empathy Interviews

Conducting 1-on-1 open-ended conversations. Focus on asking "Why?", seeking stories, and listening 80% of the time while talking only 20%.

👀 Observation

Watching users interact with products or environments in their natural context without interrupting, noticing non-verbal cues and workarounds.

🕵️ Shadowing

Following a user throughout their daily routine ("a day in the life") to capture continuous context, friction points, and hidden workflows.

🎭 Immersion (Bodystorming)

Designers directly experience the user's environment themselves (e.g., wearing gloves that simulate arthritis to test a packaging design).

3. Empathy Mapping

An Empathy Map is a collaborative visual canvas used to synthesize research findings into four core quadrants surrounding the user persona.

💬 SAYS

Direct quotes and explicit statements made during research.

Example: "I don't have time to organize my receipts."

🧠 THINKS

Unspoken beliefs, values, fears, and internal thoughts.

Example: "Am I spending too much money unnecessarily?"

🏃 DOES

Observable actions, physical behaviors, and habits.

Example: Stuffs paper receipts into a crowded shoe box.

❤️ FEELS

Emotional states, worries, hopes, and pain points.

Example: Anxious about tax season; overwhelmed by clutter.

4. Identifying User Pain Points and Needs

Types of User Pain Points

  • Financial Pain Points: Users feel they are spending too much money on current solutions.
  • Process Pain Points: Workflows are complex, slow, or require too many redundant steps.
  • Productivity Pain Points: Wasted time or inefficient tools prevent users from reaching goals fast.
  • Support Pain Points: Lack of guidance, poor onboarding, or unhelpful assistance during critical tasks.

Explicit vs. Latent Needs

Explicit Needs

Needs directly stated by the user. (e.g., "I need a faster printer.")

Latent Needs

Unspoken or subconscious needs discovered through empathy research. (e.g., "I need confidence that my document sent safely.")

5. Practical Exercise on Empathizing

✍️ Guided Exercise: The "5 Whys" Technique

Scenario: A user frequently skips taking their daily prescribed medication on time.

  1. Why did you skip taking your prescription? → "Because I forgot to take it before leaving for work."
  2. Why did you forget before leaving? → "Because I was rushing to beat morning traffic."
  3. Why were you rushing? → "Because my medicine bottle is stored upstairs in the bathroom cabinet."
  4. Why is it stored upstairs? → "Because I don't want guests visiting my house to see my prescription bottle out."
  5. Why does that bother you? → "I feel self-conscious and anxious about people knowing my health conditions."

Core Insight: The true pain point isn't poor memory; it's a lack of discreet, portable, privacy-preserving packaging for daily routines.

6. Unit II Practice Exam

Part A: Short-Answer Questions (5 Questions)

Q1. Differentiate clearly between Empathy and Sympathy in user research.
Q2. What is "Shadowing," and how does it differ from traditional interviews?
Q3. List the 4 main quadrants of an Empathy Map and briefly describe what goes into each.
Q4. Explain the difference between an explicit need and a latent need with a short example.
Q5. What is the "80/20 Rule" of empathy interviews?

Part B: Long-Form Scenario Questions (2 Questions)

Q6 (Scenario 1): A university wants to improve the cafeteria lunch experience for commuter students who have only 30-minute breaks between classes.
Task: Outline a complete Empathy Research Plan using at least 3 distinct methods (Interviews, Observation, Shadowing). Describe specific steps for each.
Q7 (Scenario 2): Based on empathy interviews with senior citizens trying to book bus tickets online, you gather the following data:
• User Quote: "The text is too small and moving fast."
• Behavior: Asks grandchild to complete payment.
• Internal Thought: Fears losing money due to incorrect clicks.
• Emotion: Frustrated, helpless, dependent.
Task: Construct a complete 4-quadrant Empathy Map and identify 2 core latent needs.

7. Detailed Model Answer Key

Part A Answers

Answer 1: Sympathy is feeling pity or sorrow for someone from a distance ("I feel bad for your frustration"). Empathy is stepping into their shoes to understand and share their experience directly ("I understand why you are frustrated").
Answer 2: Shadowing involves unobtrusively following a user through their real routine to observe authentic behavior in context. Interviews rely on self-reported verbal recollections after the event.
Answer 3:
1. Says: Direct user quotes.
2. Thinks: Unspoken thoughts, beliefs, or fears.
3. Does: Observable physical actions and behaviors.
4. Feels: Underneath emotional states and feelings.
Answer 4: An explicit need is directly stated by the user (e.g., "I need a bigger screen"). A latent need is an unstated subconscious goal discovered through research (e.g., "I need to read comfortably without eye strain").
Answer 5: During an empathy interview, the researcher listens 80% of the time and speaks only 20% of the time (asking non-leading questions and encouraging storytelling).

Part B Answers

Answer 6 (Commuter Student Cafeteria Research Plan):
  • Observation: Position researchers at cafeteria queues during peak hours (12:00–1:00 PM) to map line lengths, wait times, and seating availability without interfering.
  • Shadowing: Follow 5 commuter students starting from when their class ends, walking with them to the cafeteria, through payment, eating, and returning to class.
  • Empathy Interviews: Conduct 15-minute 1-on-1 interviews asking open questions like: "Walk me through your worst lunchtime experience this week."
Answer 7 (Senior Citizen Bus Ticket Empathy Map & Needs):
  • SAYS: "The text is too small and moving fast."
  • THINKS: "I might make a wrong click and lose money."
  • DOES: Asks grandchild for help to finish booking payment.
  • FEELS: Frustrated, anxious, dependent, helpless.
  • Identified Latent Needs:
    1. Reassurance & Confidence: Need for clear confirmation steps before money is charged.
    2. Autonomy: Need to complete personal tasks independently without relying on family assistance.

Design Thinking Unit II Study Guide • Prepared for First-Year Undergrads

No comments:

Post a Comment

#10 Unit V - Quick Study Notes & Practice Questions with Answer Keys.

Here is the matching **HTML & CSS study guide and practice exam** for **Unit V: Prototype & Test**. Following the established struc...